It’s easy to let the area under your bathroom or kitchen sink become a catchall. The mess that usually follows can become chaotic and, in some cases, dangerous. With some organization and under sink storage ideas, you can get the clutter under control.
Being Careful with Cleaning Supplies
Many kitchen cleaning supplies contain hazardous chemicals. While the products get the job done, they can also be extremely harmful if not used or stored properly. When cleaning and organizing under the kitchen sink, start by gathering any cleaning supplies and follow a few rules:
- Be sure that all cleaning supplies are in their original labeled containers with instructions.
- Keep the products away from food prep areas, along with dishes, pots, and pans that will be in contact with food.
- Put the cleaning supplies into a separate basket or other container, allowing you to access them easily when needed and to prevent them from spilling onto other items under the sink.
- If you have children or pets in the house, keep the cleaning supplies in an area they can’t access. Consider adding a child lock to the cabinet to prevent accidents.
Everything in a Container
For homeowners, there are few things worse than a burst pipe. If you ever have the misfortune of dealing with a plumbing emergency, you’ll thank yourself for using containers in your under sink storage plan. You’ll be able to quickly and easily pull everything out if there’s a problem with a drain, water line, or garbage disposal. Try these ideas for keeping everything corralled:
- Make sense of the pile of plastic grocery bags. Look for bag holders that can go over the door of a cabinet to maximize space.
- For smaller items like sponges and dish scrubbers, use a set of rolling drawers. The drawers make small items easily accessible and the whole organizer can be quickly removed if needed.
- In the bathroom, use clear bins for things like cotton balls and Q-tips. Everything will have its own space, and you won’t have to search for things every morning.
While it’s helpful for stashing odds and ends, the area under the sink usually doesn’t have an incredible amount of space. Make the most of it with a few smart, space-saving, under sink storage tips:
- Use the doors. There are plenty of organizers with hooks that slip over cabinet doors. Choose one with pockets to organize hair accessories in the bathroom or one with an open basket for holding dish towels in the kitchen.
- Build up. Use sets of drawers or shelves that stack vertically to fit more into the small space.
- Add a lazy susan for easy accessibility. If pipes are preventing you from fitting in a set of clear drawers, put smaller items on a lazy Susan to keep everything in plain view and in one contained area.
With a little time and some smart ideas, your under sink storage plan will help get you organized, keep you safe, and make life easier for you and your family.